Hi Michael,

Indexing:

    private NumericDocValuesField idField = new NumericDocValuesField("id",
0);

Reading:

    private NumericDocValues cacheDocIds() throws IOException {
        AtomicReader wrapped = SlowCompositeReaderWrapper.wrap(reader);
        return DocValues.getNumeric(wrapped, "id");
    }

I'm just putting this here for others because it's hard to find up-to-date
examples of using DocValues.

Two quick questions:

1. Do you suggest I use DocValues because intended to eventually replace
FieldCache?
2. Is it preferable  to use reader.leaves() instead of
SlowCompositeReaderWrapper here and somehow merge the segments?

Thanks for all your help.

Barry