thanks very much for your help. I will use the solr mailing list for
future solr related questions.

After running

ant example
ant run-example

inside the solr folder, I was able to access

http://localhost:8983/solr

without a problem.

I think it would make sense to change the main README and the solr
README slightly, to make this more obvious,
but I guess it is better to discuss this on the solr mailing list

Thanks very much

Michael