Ume, Thank you for your inputs. We update (write) index nightly once a day
and use it majorly for reads.

I am wondering how does the latest version of java that you recommend help
in my case. Please clarify.

--
on a side note,not related to this, could you please reply to my comments
on your blog for MMap directory post.