From: Tom Burton-West [mailto:tburt...@umich.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2015 4:04 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: index writer closes due to OOM/heap space issue but no recovery after
GC

Hello,

I'm testing Solr 4.10.2 with 4GB allocated to the heap.  During the indexing
process I get an error message that says it is caused by an "already closed
indexwriter" due to an OOM. (See below).   After this occurs it looks like the
GC kicks in and there is plenty of heap space(see attached)  but I continue
getting this error.

Can someone please explain why after the GC frees memory, I continue to get the
error?

p.s. My documents average about 800KB and at completion each shard has over 3
billion unique terms.

Tom Burton-West

 org.apache.solr.common.SolrException; org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:
Exception writing document id pst.000052087387 to the index; possible analysis
error.        at
og.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2.addDoc(DirectUpdateHandler2.java:168)
caused by:
 org.apache.lucene.store.AlreadyClosedException: this IndexWriter is closed
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.ensureOpen(IndexWriter.java:698)

caused by
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.FreqProxTermsWriterPerField$FreqProxPostingsArray.<init>(FreqProxTermsWriterPerField.java:212)