Update: I have implemented my own subclasses of QueryParser, BooleanQuery,
BooleanScorer and Similarity to deal with this.

I have been successful in getting the exact behaviour I want... when
calling the .explain() method. However, the scores for some documents often
differ when calling IndexSearcher.search() vs IndexSearcher.explain().

I am a bit confused by this. The coord() seems to be one of the things I
need to change, but is not the only element in the formula that I have
clearly changed for the .explain() pipeline but not for .search().

The implementation of BulkScorer remains perplexing to me and I suspect it
is something in there I have missed. Any pointers?

Thanks!
Daniel