Lucene is agnostic to how (database or not) your content is stored
externally: it's up to you to pull that content out, make Documents
and index them into Lucene.

It is not a great idea to store a Lucene index in a database...

Also, Compass essentially became Elasticsearch.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com