thank you for your disscussion.

I am a junior user of lucene, so i am not**familiar with some deep concept you mentioned. my question is simple. I just want to know how to get 0.75 from decode(encode(0.89)) in offical document.

why not 0.875?   (0.875=0.5+0.25+0.125)

thanks
andrew

在 2015/3/4 22:54, Adrien Grand 写道:
Norms and doc values are indeed using the same API. However
implementations differ a bit (eg. norms are stored in memory and use
different compression schemes).

The precision loss is up to the similarity. You could write a
similarity impl which keeps full float precision, but scoring being
fuzzy anyway this would multiply your memory needs for norms by 4
while not really improving the quality of the scores of your
documents. This precision loss is the right trade-off for most
use-cases.