ah.. I misread the thread,I thought you were using two APIs to acheive the
same done by updateDocument. Yes it is an overhead and harder for user to
keep track of the fields that he doesn't need to update. Already there is a
Jira opened for this[1].

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4258

--
Gimantha Bandara