Lutz Fechner <lutz.fech...@perfect.com> wrote:
> separated index will allow you split IO load over multiple
> physical drives as well as use different Analyzers (if your
> customers are having different content that will make sense).

Other ways to get better IO is RAID, SSD or RAM.

Multiple indexes makes a lot of sense from a functionality point of view
(logistics, ranking, individualization), but it loses on price/performance if
most of the data are in use most of the time. It boils down to the overhead of
running an index.

Discussing this on the abstract level is hard as there are so many variables
influencing the decision. The quality of our guesswork is proportional to the
amount of information you give us, Sascha. It would help if we knew more, such
as

* How many customers?
* How many customers in a year?
* How large is the average index data size per customer?
* How many documents per customer?
* Are all customer data treated equal or are some of it specialized?
* Are the sizes fairly uniform or are there a few huge outliers?
* How often does a customer update the data?
* How often does a customer issue searches?
* How many concurrent requests will there be at peak time?
* Is it okay to have a slow first-search but faster subsequent searches?

- Toke Eskildsen