You could use Infinispan as an adaptor between the Lucene Directory
and a JDBC database connection:

http://infinispan.org/docs/8.0.x/user_guide/user_guide.html#_infinispan_as_a_storage_for_lucene_indexes

Infinispan is primarily meant as an in-memory high perfomance storage
but can be used as a "front cache" backed by other persistent stores;
such a persistent store can be another NoSQL technology to write on
disks (Infinispan focuses on in-memory) or a relational database.

The license is ASL2 and it includes a Lucene Directory implementation
which I try to keep up to date with latest Lucene changes. We created
it to simplify synchronization between various nodes of small
read-mostly indexes, as Infinispan supports the clustering types I
needed but it will work fine even for a single node.

Regards,
Sanne