I finally dug into this, and it turns out the nightly benchmark I run had
bad bottlenecks such that it couldn't feed documents quickly enough to
Lucene to take advantage of the concurrent hardware in beast2.

I fixed that and just re-ran the nightly run and it shows good gains:
https://plus.google.com/+MichaelMcCandless/posts/6mzSoY4ucFE

I suspect more gains are possible ... I need to play some more.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com