Hi,

Have a separate searcher manager for every directory. On every incoming search
request, fetch the actual DirectoryReaders from the searcher managers and build
a MultiReader from it. This costs nothing, as MultiReader is just a thin
wrapper where no caching is involved. On top of this MultiReader create an
IndexSearcher (which is also cheap).

The actual search and caching is always executed on the segments collected from
all indexes, the wrapping with MultiReaders and IndexSearchers is neglectible.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen