Which Lucene version and which query parser is this? Can you provide a
test case/ code sample?
I just tried with StandardQueryParser and for:

        sqp.setDefaultOperator(StandardQueryConfigHandler.Operator.AND);
        dump(sqp.parse("foo AND bar OR baz", "field_a"));
        sqp.setDefaultOperator(StandardQueryConfigHandler.Operator.OR);
        dump(sqp.parse("foo AND bar OR baz", "field_a"));

I get the same result:

BooleanQuery: +field_a:foo +field_a:bar field_a:baz

Dawid