Not sure why are you looking for something better, since it's the best API
already.
You can check the sample usage at
.FastTaxonomyFacetCounts.countAll(IndexReader), also notice
FastTaxonomyFacetCounts.count(List<MatchingDocs>) where DV iterator is
dragged by enclosing intersection.
also SolrDocumentFetcher.decodeDVField(int, LeafReader, String) does
exactly this.

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev