i am currently happy with Lucene performance but i want to understand and speedup further

by limiting the results concretely. So i still donot know why totalHits and scoredocs report

different number of hits.

Best regards

On 6/8/21 2:52 AM, Baris Kazar wrote:
my worry is actually about the lucene's performance.

if lucene collects thousands of hits instead of actually n (<<< a couple of 1000s) hits, then this creates performance issue.

ScoreDoc array is ok as i mentioned ie, it has size n.
i will check count api.

Best regards
*From:* Adrien Grand <jpou...@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 8, 2021 2:46 AM
*To:* Lucene Users Mailing List
*Cc:* Baris Kazar
*Subject:* Re: An interesting case
When you call IndexSearcher#search(Query query, int n), there are two cases:  - either your query matches n hits or more, and the TopDocs object will have a ScoreDoc[] array that contains the n best scoring hits sorted by descending score,  - or your query matches less then n hits and then the TopDocs object will have all matches in the ScoreDoc[] array, sorted by descending score.

In both cases, TopDocs#totalHits gives information about the total number of matches of the query. On older versions of Lucene (<7.0) this is an integer that is always accurate, while on more recent versions of Lucene (>= 8.0) it is a lower bound of the total number of matches. It typically returns the number of collected documents indeed, though this is an implementation detail that might change in the future.

If you want to count the number of matches of a Query precisely, you can use IndexSearcher#count.