Currently, the awt library sets the palette (when running in 8-bit mode,
of course).   We are thinking about changing this, though, and just
using the default color map that is in place when the app
is launched.  This would work better, for instance, in the case
you mention (having another app set up the system palette) and in the
case of an applet running inside a browser (which should really be
using the brower's colormap instead of trying to set its own).

Chet.

> From: Fred Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [JAVA2D] Windows palette, X11 visuals, etc
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> This isn't really a Java2D question, but since the Java community at large is
not too interested in issues of color accuracy, I thought I'd post here.

> The question is, is the Windows palette (and the similar X11 stuff about which
I'm rather vague - it's been a long time) set by the VM or by application which
invokes the VM?  If I create a "launcher" app and set up a palette, will the VM
change the palette or will drawing code dither to the palette I set?

> I suppose the answer is "the VM sets the palette" since looking at the
"launcher" apps provided in "src.jar" shows nothing platform specific like this