Hi Phil:

I tried out your suggestion ... I wrote a simple test program to determine
my default resolution. The program is attached. The first time I ran it, I
got 600 dpi, which is the default when the print dialog box comes up.
Thereafter, I am getting 72 dpi. I also tried enabling the print dialog box
in this Java program (i.e., uncomment out the commented lines), to see if
the resultion I get is what I specify via the dialog box. It is not. I still
get 72 dpi.

Why does the resolution change from one print() call to another? Why isn't
the resolution specified via the print dialog box being used?

I don't understand this part of your answer:

You can work at any resolution up to whatever is device resolution by simply
applying a suitable scaling transform to the graphics obtained from
PrinterJob
and doing your rendering at that higher resolution.

Are you saying that if device resolution is 600 dpi, I can work at 300 dpi?

Thanks.

--Laurel