Igor,

I'm not sure if I'm completely answering your question, but
here's how we deal with color palettes:

On windows (all flavors) in 256-color mode, we create a palette
which resembles palettes in popular browsers: a 6x6x6 color cube
with additional grays and some other colors thrown in for fun.
We do not attempt to change the system defaults (palette entries
0-7 and 248-255).  Our color operations to the screen would
use any and all colors installed in the palette to achieve the
closest match.  If that means that your profile changed colors
in the system palette (entires 8, 9, 246, 247, I believe), then
we would use those colors if they were the closest match.

Hope that helps.

Chet.
Java2D