I'm using Component.createImage(int, int) to create accelerated images, and this
is working well for creating opaque images, but it does not work for transparent
images. I don't believe that fully transparent images can be accelerated with
Java yet (let me know if i'm wrong) but i have read that 1-bit transparency
images can be accelerated. Is this the case, and if so how is it done? Right now
I have the following createAcceleratedImage that i'm trying to use:

        public static Image createAcceleratedImage(Image image) {
                if (image instanceof AcceleratedOffScreenImage)
                        return image;

// this works but the accelerate images are always opaque, so comment it out.
//              Image result = myComponent.createImage(image.getWidth(null),
image.getHeight(null));

// This makes images will transparency, but they seem the same speed as normal
buffered images with transparent regions.
                GraphicsConfiguration graphicsConfiguration =
GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getDefaultScreenDevice().getDe
faultConfiguration();
                BufferedImage result =
(BufferedImage)graphicsConfiguration.createCompatibleImage(image.getWidth(null),
image.getHeight(null), Transparency.BITMASK);
                Graphics2D g2 = (Graphics2D) result.getGraphics();
                g2.setColor(new Color(0, 0, 0, 0));
                g2.setPaintMode();
                g2.fillRect(0, 0, image.getWidth(null), image.getWidth(null));
                g2 = (Graphics2D) result.getGraphics();
                g2.drawImage(image, 0, 0, null);
                return result;
        }

But the images (when using the Transparency.BITMASK) code do not seem
accelerated.

So is it possible to get accelerated images with a BITMASK?

Thanks,
Jesse