Hello,

I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum, but
I have been looking for some time for the answer to what
sounds like it should be a simple question, without
much success.

I am going to develop an application that will display
scientific x-y graphs. Initially at least the graphs
will be very standard, with two labeled axes, and one
or more colour coded curves, together with an appropriate
legend.

Once it is all up and running, I might want to add 3-D
graphs as well. These would still be continuous variables,
forming an x-y-z surface. However, the 3-D requirement is
secondary, and may never get implemented.

My question is this: What package/libraries should I be
using ? I could code it all up from scratch using AWT/swing,
but lots of people must have been here before and I don't
want to re-invent the wheel. Could someone give me
some pointers please, or maybe suggest a more appropriate
forum for this question.

Thanks in advance,

Luke Whitaker