I'm creating an application that presents users with a blurred image
and a clear circle that they move around with the mouse. Below is a
screenshot. I do this by maintaining two versions of the image, one
blurred and one clear. I draw the blurred image to the screen and then
create a clipping path and draw the clear image to the screen within
the clipping path. By moving the clipping path around I can move the
clear part around. Java is very fast and very smooth.

The problem is that this creates a hard edge between the two pictures,
and I need a softer transition. Is there a way to do a softer clipping
path, or define a transparency mask that would blend the blurred and
clear image at various proportions at the edges to create a smooth
transition? The kicker is that I need it to be very fast, on the order
of 20 fps or faster.

Thanks,

Tom

Thomas Busey, PhD Associate Professor Department of Psychology and Program in Cognitive Science Indiana University, Bloomington 1101 E. 10th St Bloomington, IN, 47405 (812) 855-4261 [EMAIL PROTECTED] www.indiana.edu/~busey AIM / IChat AV: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (video feed)