Do you mean that the same font installed on other PCs is OK?

Is this XP SP2 ?

Which JDK version?

What does that font say its full name is?
ie font.getFontName()?

Perhaps you could email me the font (just to me please, not the whole list).

But its also possible something is messed up in the windows registry
that's contributing to this. All guesswork at this point.

Oh, and what is the user and system locale on this problem PC?

-phil.

Jan Bösenberg (INCORS GmbH) wrote:
Hello,

on one test system we found a really strange behavious of a little app,
which creates a Font instance for each available font familiy name. The
code looks like this:

     String[] fontFamilyNames =
GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getAvailableFontFamilyNames();

     Font[] fonts = new Font[fontFamilyNames.length];
     int fontCount = 0;
     for (int i = 0; i < fontFamilyNames.length; i++) {
       fonts[i] = new Font(fontFamilyNames[i], Font.PLAIN, 1);
     }

On that particular (WinXP) system, there are two fonts installed: Times
New Roman (file name times.ttf) and Times (file name kycw1_75.ttf). Both
family names ("Times New Roman" and "Times") are returned by the
getAvailableFontFamilyNames() method.

The problem is that the line new Font(fontFamilyNames[i], Font.PLAIN, 1)
creates an instance of the "Times" font for both family names. I tried
using alternative constructors (for example new Font(Map attributes)
with only the FamilyName attribute set), but nothing works. As a result
of this, we simply cannot use Times New Roman on that machine from Java,
which is quite a shame, because it is far better than the Times font
(much more of the Unicode glyphs are covered). If we remove the Times
font from the machine, everything works fine. In non-Java applications
both fonts appear in font choosers (under the names "Times" and "Times
New Roman" as you would expect).

I guess this is a bug in the Java font package, but I have a tiny bit a
hope left that there is a workaround available. Can someone help? The
Times font was installed from a driver CD-ROM for a Kyocera printer.

Thanks

Jan

body
of the message "signoff JAVA2D-INTEREST".  For general help, send
email to