Hi Chris,

that's fantastic news indeed. I'll check the new jdk7 as soon as b10 is
released.

While waiting for your blogs, I have a story for you.

Some time ago I was forced to use LWJGL in order to write an
OpenGL/Graphics2D wrapper (not as complete as the real thing, but it works
very well for images, clipping, some kind of vectors). That's why when I
started with the java2d-ogl it was "too fresh" to be stable and fast. It was
jdk 1.4.x time, if I don't mistake.

Then time passed and now we have jdk6 (and this is GOOD). Sadly all my
experiments to update my code in order to take advantage of the new
jav2d-ogl failed again because of the number of crashes or unexpected
behaviors experienced even with very simple test code.

Driver issues, one might say. Bad test code ? Not likely, maybe... But it's
all very discouraging for me.

By the time I'm writing this email I'm also testing some
"deeply-raw-five-min-dev-time" code in order to see how the jav2d-ogl
impacts the speed of antialiased drawLine()s.

- The test itself hangs on jdk6 but runs on jdk5.
- I see no speed increases by turning on/off opengl.
- I usually get a crash in NVOpenGLPbuffer on jdk6 when resizing the jframe.

Other problem: when I turn on "sun.java2d.opengl" also the gui becomes
accelerated, but this could also be the source of repaint problems and other
odd driver/config dependent issues. Result: I can't ship my apps with opengl
enabled by default. I would opt for the possibility to have the choiche to
not accelerate Swing.

So, jav2d-ogl is a wicked good idea. We all wanted it. But.. how can I make
real-world use of it ?

Cheers,

Mik
ClassX Development Italy  Via Francesca, 368/I I-56030 S.M. a Monte (PI) <
Tel.(+39)-0587-705153  Fax.(+39)-0587-705153  WEB: http://www.classx.it  <