I've been following the thread on OpenGL fragment shaders, and am
wondering how I might play around with these on my own.  Can I create
any arbitrary fragment shader?  Gaussian blurs?  Embossing?
Non-tileable patterns?  Animated images?  Can I pass attributes to
them?  What about samplers?  If so, fragment shaders have a lot of
potential.

If there is an introduction to using fragment shaders for 2D, please let
me know!

Mark McKay