I'm going to be doing some image processing in which I need to have
rasters that contain information other than color.  For example, I'm
writing a loader for an image that has an extra plane containing height
info.  The raw height information is stored as a floating point values
while the color info is regular RGB bytes.

I'm wondering what the best way to deal with all this is, to keep things
logical and fast.  Should I try to cram everything into a single
databuffer and create a custom BufferedImage?  Should I create separate
databuffers for my unique data types and treat the color data as a
regular BufferedImage so that it will gain the benefits of automatic
acceleration?  Should I be considering using the JAI?

Mark McKay