I've located a desktop machine in the office that has the same problem with our
software.  It is a Dell Precision 380 running Windows XP sp2 and Java 6 u1.
The gpu is an nVidia Quadro FX 3500 with driver 91.48.

We're seeing a confusing result on this machine, when 32-bit color quality is
chosen:
o   with both sun.java2d.opengl=True and sun.java2d.opengl.fbobject=false, both
SwingSet2 and our app work fine
o   with only sun.java2d.opengl=True (and not the fbobject setting) SwingSet2
works, but our app does not (shows blank window).
[Everything works fine when 16-bit color quality is chosen]

We attempted to install the Beta nvidia driver as suggested, but it resulted in
BSOD upon reboot.  We tried twice to reboot with same result, and so chose to
revert to the existing driver, for sanity's sake.
[Message sent by forum member 'russelleast' (russelleast)]