Jim, that is indeed the suspicion that I get from all this.

Additional comments from Maxim Mossienko (one of the IntelliJ developers):
---
It scrolls by small amounts too often.
I see interesting piece of code in JDK 6 sources (BasicScrollPaneUI:876)
// Check if we should use the visibleRect trick
Object fastWheelScroll = toScroll.getClientProperty(
"JScrollBar.fastWheelScrolling");
if (Boolean.TRUE == fastWheelScroll &&
comp instanceof Scrollable) { ... }
---
Relevant issue in Java bug DB seems to be
---
[Message sent by forum member 'plethora' (plethora)]