Hi,

Dmitri Trembovetski wrote:

>>>   In the local server case, have you tried setting
>>>   this env. variable: J2D_PIXMAPS=shared . It may help.
>> Oddly enough, when we use "shared", the X-Server load goes up quite a
>> bit (on the order of 30-50%), whereas when we use "server", the X-Server
>> load goes down to more normal levels (like 5-10%).
>> Why would that be on a local box? Seems like shared memory would be more
>> efficient? (using sun.java2d.pmoffscreen=true for both cases)
>
>   That would be my assumption as well. Not sure why would
>   that not be the case.

My current theory now as to why the "server" setting lowered the CPU
time of the X-Server is that the additional communication traffic became
the bottleneck, which throttled the amount of requests per second that
the X-Server had to service. I've switched back to "shared" since the
graphics tended to restore faster after something like an overlapping
window obscured part of the screen.

Also, I tried rendering the most expensive paint operation into an
off-screen buffer and then painted the buffer. The time to execute the
paint method was reduced from 250 ms or more to around 90 ms, but the
X-Server CPU required did not change. Does the X-Server participate at
all when graphics are rendered in an off-screen buffer? If so, is there
a way to have it not participate? I would think that painting a rendered
pixmap shouldn't be all that expensive. Buffered images are already
compatible with the system's graphics now right? (The original paint
method painted a sequence of perhaps 30 30x90 images/icons.)   It is
still a little unclear to me where the various rendering/drawing
operations take place for the local X client-server model. Is there a
good reference to look at for this. (I guess I could download the VM
source now and peruse that if I had some spare time.)

We are also going to try Solaris 10 just to see if it behaves the same
way. We'll give dtrace a try as well to see if that illuminates what is
going on.

Thanks,

Rob