Turns out that I needed to add the following "magic" code:

[code]
      table.setSize(table.getColumnModel().getTotalColumnWidth(), table.
        getRowHeight() * table.getRowCount());
      JScrollPane addsHeaders = new JScrollPane(table);
      addsHeaders.addNotify();
      addsHeaders.validate();
[/code]

Guys, can you *please* revisit http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=4639354
and go a step further by adding [code]SwingUtilities.layout(JComponent
invisibleComponent)[/code] in Java7? I just filed I filed a RFE review ID
1279729: "Ability to layout invisible components" to this end.
[Message sent by forum member 'cowwoc' (cowwoc)]