> Every native DirectX application runs fine on my machine without making it
> any unstable. Why should Java be an exception?

The 6u10 version may very well run just fine on your system. The older versions
combined DirectX and GDI rendering to the same surface which is prohibited on
Vista (something that used to work just fine on previous Windows versions).

Another thing to consider is that Java2D makes use of DirectX APIs in a
slightly different way than the "typical" 3D applications like games, so we
often hit less tested code paths of the drivers.

You can disable the hw/os check by setting J2D_D3D_NO_HWCHECK env variable to
'true' prior to starting your application. I'm pretty sure it will work fine on
your system (make sure you have the latest drivers).

Thanks,
   Dmitri
[Message sent by forum member 'trembovetski' (trembovetski)]