With the coming of 6u10, text on Java apps looks the best it ever has (at least
in Windows).  Taking advantage of native font rendering was a really good idea
(with a nice speed/quality balance), and it's a big step forward for Swing apps.

But, when I look closely, the way Windows renders text grates on me like
fingernails on a blackboard, particularly larger fonts which [i]should[/i] look
great, but end up looking cheesy.

Does there exist out there a java text-rendering library which could yield
really great text rendering, at least for header/subheader text?  I'd be
willing to sacrifice speed for higher quality--Speed is less of a consideration
than it would be for a general-purpose text rendering solution, as the
'display' headings are not incredibly dynamic (i.e., don't change all that
often, but often enough that I can't just resort to using
Photoshop-generated/static images).

I would really appreciate any input on this.
[Message sent by forum member 'mmuday' (mmuday)]