Hi,

I did not find better place to ask.

I am learning creating Swing GUI + Java 2D. I need to have a background image
on top of which I need to draw figures and place smaller images (using Java 2D
I suppose). All of this needs to recognize when clicked by mouse, but this is
far future now.

Right now I am trying to experiment with layers. I implemented layers example
from Sun tutorials and it works fine but when I try to add my own draws from
Java 2D as e.g. top layer they don't show.

In the below I have my own polygone class that I used to draw polygone on
simple JPanel and it worked. Now, when try to do the same on layeredPane it
fails to do anything.

Any hint on what I'm doing wrong will be appreciated.

Here's the code:

import javax.swing.*;
import javax.swing.border.*;
import javax.accessibility.*;
import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import java.awt.geom.AffineTransform;
import java.awt.geom.GeneralPath;
import java.awt.image.BufferedImage;
/*
 * RootLayeredPaneDemo.java requires images/dukeWaveRed.gif.
 */
public class RootLayeredPaneDemo extends JPanel
                                        implements
ActionListener,MouseMotionListener {
 private int[] layers = {-3, 0, 3};
 private String[] layerStrings = { "Yellow (-30000)",
 "Magenta (0)",
 "Cyan (301)" };
 private Color[] layerColors = { Color.yellow,
 Color.magenta,
 Color.cyan };
 private JLayeredPane layeredPane;
 private JLabel dukeLabel;
 private JCheckBox onTop;
 private JComboBox layerList;
 //Action commands
 private static String ON_TOP_COMMAND = "ontop";
 private static String LAYER_COMMAND = "layer";
 //Adjustments to put Duke's toe at the cursor's tip.
 private static final int XFUDGE = 40;
 private static final int YFUDGE = 57;
 //Initial layer of dukeLabel.
 private static final int INITIAL_DUKE_LAYER_INDEX = 1;

 public RootLayeredPaneDemo(JLayeredPane layeredPane) {
         super(new GridLayout(1,1));

         //Create and load the duke icon.
         final ImageIcon icon = createImageIcon("images/dukeWaveRed.gif");

         //Create and set up the layered pane.
         this.layeredPane = layeredPane;
         layeredPane.addMouseMotionListener(this);

         //This is the origin of the first label added.
         Point origin = new Point(10, 100);

         //This is the offset for computing the origin for the next label.
         int offset = 35;

         //Add several overlapping, colored labels to the layered pane
         //using absolute positioning/sizing.
         for (int i = 0; i < layerStrings.length; i++) {
                 JLabel label =
createColoredLabel(layerStrings[i],layerColors[i], origin);

                 layeredPane.add(label, new Integer(layers[i]));

                 origin.x += offset;
                 origin.y += offset;
         }

         //Create and add the Duke label to the layered pane.
         dukeLabel = new JLabel(icon);

         if (icon != null) {
                 dukeLabel.setBounds(15, 225,
                 icon.getIconWidth(),
                 icon.getIconHeight());
         } else {
                 System.err.println("Duke icon not found; using black square
instead.");
                 dukeLabel.setBounds(15, 225, 30, 30);
                 dukeLabel.setOpaque(true);
                 dukeLabel.setBackground(Color.BLACK);
         }

         layeredPane.add(dukeLabel,new
Integer(layers[INITIAL_DUKE_LAYER_INDEX]),0);

         //ADDITION TO THE EXAMPLE
         polygone p = new polygone();
         layeredPane.add(p,new Integer(layers[2]),-1);

         //Add control pane to this JPanel.
         add(createControlPanel());
 }

         /** Returns an ImageIcon, or null if the path was invalid. */
         protected static ImageIcon createImageIcon(String path) {
                 java.net.URL imgURL =
RootLayeredPaneDemo.class.getResource(path);

                 if (imgURL != null) {
                         return new ImageIcon(imgURL);
                 } else {
                         System.err.println("Couldn't find file: " + path);
                         return null;
                 }
         }

 //Create and set up a colored label.
 private JLabel createColoredLabel(String text,
         Color color,
         Point origin) {
         JLabel label = new JLabel(text);
         label.setVerticalAlignment(JLabel.TOP);
         label.setHorizontalAlignment(JLabel.CENTER);
         label.setOpaque(true);
         label.setBackground(color);
         label.setForeground(Color.black);
         label.setBorder(BorderFactory.createLineBorder(Color.black));
         label.setBounds(origin.x, origin.y, 140, 140);
         return label;
 }

 //Create the control pane for the top of the frame.
 private JPanel createControlPanel() {
         onTop = new JCheckBox("Top Position in Layer");
         onTop.setSelected(true);
         onTop.setActionCommand(ON_TOP_COMMAND);
         onTop.addActionListener(this);
         layerList = new JComboBox(layerStrings);
         layerList.setSelectedIndex(INITIAL_DUKE_LAYER_INDEX);
         layerList.setActionCommand(LAYER_COMMAND);
         layerList.addActionListener(this);
         JPanel controls = new JPanel();
         controls.add(layerList);
         controls.add(onTop);
         controls.setBorder(BorderFactory.createTitledBorder(
         "Choose Duke's Layer and Position"));
         return controls;
 }

 //Make Duke follow the cursor.
 public void mouseMoved(MouseEvent e) {
 dukeLabel.setLocation(e.getX()-XFUDGE, e.getY()-YFUDGE);
 }

 public void mouseDragged(MouseEvent e) {} //do nothing

 //Handle user interaction with the check box and combo box.
         String cmd = e.getActionCommand();

         if (ON_TOP_COMMAND.equals(cmd)) {
                 if (onTop.isSelected())
                         layeredPane.moveToFront(dukeLabel);
                 else
                         layeredPane.moveToBack(dukeLabel);
         } else if (LAYER_COMMAND.equals(cmd)) {
         int position = onTop.isSelected() ? 0 : -1;

layeredPane.setLayer(dukeLabel,layers[layerList.getSelectedIndex()],position);
         }
 }

 /**
 * Create the GUI and show it. For thread safety,
 * this method should be invoked from the
 * event-dispatching thread.
 */
 private static void createAndShowGUI() {
         //Create and set up the window.
         JFrame frame = new JFrame("RootLayeredPaneDemo");

         //Create and set up the content pane.
         RootLayeredPaneDemo newContentPane = new
RootLayeredPaneDemo(frame.getLayeredPane());
         newContentPane.setOpaque(true); //content panes must be opaque
         frame.setContentPane(newContentPane);

         //Display the window.
         frame.setSize(new Dimension(500, 500));
         frame.setVisible(true);
 }

 //Schedule a job for the event-dispatching thread:
 //creating and showing this application's GUI.
 javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
 public void run() {
 createAndShowGUI();
 }
 });
 }
}

class polygone extends Component{

        final static float dash1[] = {10.0f};
         final static BasicStroke dashed = new BasicStroke(1.0f,
                                        BasicStroke.CAP_BUTT,
                                        BasicStroke.JOIN_MITER,
                                        10.0f, dash1,
                                        0.0f);

        public Dimension getPreferredSize(){
                 return new Dimension(450, 125);
        }

        public void paint(Graphics g) {
                 Graphics2D g2 = (Graphics2D) g;

                 g2.setStroke(dashed);

                // draw GeneralPath (polygon)
                 int x1Points[] = {0, 100, 0, 100};
                 int y1Points[] = {0, 50, 50, 0};

                 GeneralPath polygon = new
GeneralPath(GeneralPath.WIND_EVEN_ODD, x1Points.length);

                 polygon.moveTo(x1Points[0], y1Points[0]);

                 for (int index = 1; index < x1Points.length; index++) {
                         polygon.lineTo(x1Points[index], y1Points[index]);
                 };

                 polygon.closePath();
                 g2.draw(polygon);
        }

}
[Message sent by forum member 'r1omen' (r1omen)]