Oops!  Big mistake!

Of course if I had actually referred to my working code, I would have
recalled the super.finalize() call and the throwable declaration...

Any text or FAQ can explain finalize and it's use more clearly.  Sorry
for my mistake!

However, I think the following would be better than the revised
suggestion, as super.finalize() should be the last call in the finalizer
method.  Also, to truly override finalize of the Java native classes,
finalize must be declared protected, not private as I formerly stated or
public as in Karsten's code.

protected void finalize() throws Throwable {
    // your code / print outs
    // watch out not to cause an exception. it will not be reported,
since the system will catch them silently
    // this is very important, never forget it. The super class could
free memory of native code
    super.finalize();
}

Have a great day,