Gerard Peregrin wrote:

> Oooops, I was thinking in the context of application controls,
> instrumentation and remote sensing.  Is the nature of the VW a natural
> terrain that is rendered with coordinate data obtained from a remote sensor?

Err. nope. that's waaay above the VRML level. We just read in a static
file format and turn that into rendering and a runtime system (VRML has
its own event model that has to be layered over the top of the java3d
behaviour system). Remote sensing apps need to use the extensibility
parts of VRML, such as scripting, to build anything on the fly. Don
Brutzman from the Naval Postgrad Scheel here in the US does a lot of
this sort of stuff with underwater vehicles. Ummm... try
http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman/ to have a look at some of the stuff
he's doing with X3D/VRML and our loader code (he's actually funding a
reasonable chunk of the development of Xj3D currently).

--
Justin Couch                         http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/
Java Architect & Bit Twiddler              http://www.yumetech.com/