On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:19:35 GMT, Pavel Rappo <pra...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Creating a link to a constructor or a method or comparing constructors or
> methods __does not__ factor in type parameters. When constructors or methods
> are overloaded and differ only in type parameters -- a situation which is
> absent in JDK API, but present elsewhere -- that causes significant defects,
> such as:
>
>   - missing entries in summary tables, lists and indexes,
>   - duplicating links in the table of contents.
>
> This PR fixes those defects, and the fix is two-fold. Firstly, we update
> comparators to consider type parameters. That takes care of missing
> constructors and methods. Secondly, we update id (anchor) and link generation
> to always use the "erased" notation. That takes care of duplicating links.
>
> What's the "erased" notation? Suppose we have the following method:
>
>     <T extends String> T m(T arg)
>
> The current notation refers to it as `m(T)`. That works fine until there's no
> other method, such as
>
>     <T> T m(T arg)
>
> In which case, the current notation will produce a collision: `m(T)`. By
> contrast, the erased notation for those two methods is `m(java.lang.String)`
> and `m(java.lang.Object)` respectively. No collision.
>
> While longer, I believe that the erased notation is collision-proof. Why?
> Because [JLS 8.4.2][] says that "it is a compile-time error to declare two
> methods with override-equivalent signatures in a class". Which means that for
> any two constructors or methods the erasure of their signatures must differ,
> or else it won't compile.
>
> The change is pretty straightforward, except for some test fallout that
> required attention.
>
> [JLS 8.4.2]:
> https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se22/html/jls-8.html#jls-8.4.2

A compatibility problem is that if library C wants to link to library A on Java
17 with generic anchors and library B on 23 with erased anchors. Is there a way
for Javadoc to generate the correct link to both older versions, such as by
detecting which anchor format was used by scanning index.html?

A similar problem occured before when Javadoc changed `--` around method
parameters to `()`.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18519#issuecomment-2024059820