On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 19:04:04 GMT, Jonathan Gibbons <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Please review changes to the support for `since`, `author`, and `version`
> tags, such that if there are no such tags on a nested class, the doclet will
> look for any such tags in enclosing classes.

This looks like the right thing to do; thanks for doing this.

A general comment regarding the test cases. It would be better if:

 - the nesting was at least two levels deep (`public class Foo { static class
Bar { static class Baz { } } }`), to test search recursion
 - some tags were repeated (IIRC, `@autor` allows for repetition), to test that
all such tags from the enclosing context are used

src/jdk.javadoc/share/man/javadoc.1 line 1:

> 1: .\" Copyright (c) 1994, 2024, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
> reserved.

This diff to the man page seems to contain some unrelated changes. If this is
intentional, I'd prefer to move those changes to a separate, clean-up PR.

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18407#pullrequestreview-1986191604
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18407#discussion_r1555693372