On Wed, 26 Jun 2024 23:00:27 GMT, Jonathan Gibbons <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Please review a change to reorganize the internal low-level support for HTML
> in the jdk.javadoc module.
>
> Hitherto, there are two separate sets of classes for low-level support for
> HTML in the `jdk.javadoc` module: one, in doclint, focused on reading and
> checking classes, the other, in the standard doclet, focused on generating
> HTML. This PR merges those two sets, into a new package
> `jdk.javadoc.internal.html` that is now used by both `doclint` and the
> standard doclet.
>
> There was a naming "anti-clash" -- `HtmlTag` in `doclint` vs `TagName` in the
> standard doclet. The resolution is to use `HtmlTag`, since the merged class
> is more than just the tag name.
>
> A few minor bugs were found and fixed.   Other minor cleanup was done, but
> otherwise, there should be no big surprises here. But, one small item of
> note: `enum HtmlStyle` was split into `interface HtmlStyle` and `enum
> HtmlStyles implements HtmlStyle` to avoid having a doclet-specific enum class
> in the new `internal.html` package.  The naming follows `HtmlId` and
> `HtmlIds`.
>
> There is no attempt at this time to simplify `HtmlTag` and `HtmlAttr` to
> remove support for older versions of HTML.

I'm not sure if this is intentional (it makes changes easier to review), but I
notice that imports of classes in the new package are generally mixed with
classes remaining in the old package, and therefore not in alphabetic order.

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19916#pullrequestreview-2148044997