My history of reliability:

Toshiba Tablet PC, >$4K - fan failure in 2nd year
Dell Inspiron 8600, ~$2.6K - hard drive and video card failure in 2nd
year
Sony Vaio, $2.5K - mainboard failure in 1st year
iBook G4 - track pad failure in first week, replaced with new laptop
MacBook C2D, 2nd year, some minor issues with charger

On heat, my MacBook runs cooler than all my other laptops, but I'm not
sure if that's just a Core 2 Duo thing and the way they position the
fans to vent toward the screen rather than you.

Had iPods ( classic, nano, touch and iPhone), no file system
corruption in 4 years.

On price differentials, it depends, Apple updates once or twice a year
(Dell does it almost weekly), so the price difference component by
component does vary depending on where you are in the cycle, Apple
rarely discounts.
At one point when I was shopping for my MacBook it was almost the same
price as a comparable Dell model.

For me, the capabilities of laptops and my willingness to spend money
mean I'm willing to lay out around 2K for a machine and get what is
available at that price point.

I've run ubuntu, I've run 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, ME, XP and I've run (to a
limited extent) Vista.   I also want OS X - and as long as Apple
doesn't entirely screw me on the hardware side, I'm happy with the
prices they charge.

In short, I think the adage 'your mileage may vary' applies here.