What motivated this posting is that I started with a fresh blank WinXP
SP3 that I had installed Google Chrome on.

When I added the Adobe Flash Player for the first time, it was ready
to go in just a few seconds.

When I installed the Java 6 JRE that Chrome required, it was a lengthy
and involved undertaking. Of course I was motivated to do it anyway as
I have specific Java software that I want to run.

We've been hearing about this great new install process for Java in
the browser and I was fully expecting to experience that, given this
is touted as a RC (release candidate). It's too bad that it's still a
developer-only reality. The clock keeps ticking and Sun still isn't
there with a Consumer JRE.

Also, the JVM is too much overhead when every Java app that is kicked
off requires its own instantiation - even on today's typical hardware.

Josh says they'll share a JVM instance for applets, but that will have
stability implications on a browser like Chrome. What happens when a
page with an applet on it goes bad and is killed off by the user via
the Chrome task manager, and the user still has other applets running
in other good tab sessions? Will the JVM purge the applet hosted on
the bad page properly - in the event its hosting page is killed
abruptly? Could the JVM get destabilized by such an occurrence? What
would arguably be more robust is to spawn a JVM instance per every
tabbed web page that host an applet. Yet that would incur too much
resource overhead.

Sun never went all the way to delivering anything from its research on
single JVM running multiple Java applications robustly. Or else where
multiple JVM instances share a lot of common state to keep overhead
lower. So we're left with running all Java applet web apps in a common
JVM and hoping everything stays well behaved.

That's not the approach Google is taking with JavaScript-based apps
running under Chrome. They will be process-isolated and bad guys will
be nukable.