Mark Fortner:
"I've found in the past that the ability to be able to reuse code
depends on
a number of organizational factors:
- do you disseminate information about the shared code through... "

Yes agreed, what I was hinting at is that it seems as though this
important organizational process is almost none existent throughout
the majority of teams/companies I work with now.

I believe that organizational factors are key in effective code reuse.
When I look at the success of stackoverflow.com this makes me wonder?

  ** Would a platform to help facilitate code reuse at the lower
levels such as utility classes (similar the apache commons) be
beneficial to companies / developers? **

After all, how many times has your development team written a date
utility class or a XML processing utility class that could have been
shared?