( Full Disclosure: I'm a co-creator of Griffon and it is a 0.1-Beta
release. Somewhat of a shameless plug)
A lot of the Groovy news, at least in the second half of the year was
centered around Griffon which launched in early September. Griffon is
a Grails-like framework to create Swing applications. It is inspired
in part by the Swing Application Framework, adheres to a MVC
structure, and can deploy to desktop, Java webstart, or as an applet
with no code changes.

One of the key features is the @Bindable (http://shemnon.com/speling/
2008/04/bindable-observable-properties.html) which wraps the
associated bean in a PropertyChangeSupport property. It can work with
the bind node in our UI builders to provide features similar to the
beans-binding JSR. Another feature is the use of builders, DSLs that
we use to describe user interfaces. At launch, we had only
SwingBuilder, SwingXBuilder(funded by Google's Summer of Code), and
JIDEBuilder. In the past few months, we have added FlamingoBuilder,
MacWidgetsBuilder, and TrayBuilder(for tray menus/notification).
Components from builders can be mixed in the same UI.

Griffon also supports plugins. Currently builders other than core
Swing are provided as plugins. Non-UI plugins include: easyb (for
BDD), fest (for testing Swing UIs), code coverage, installer (for rpm
and izpack), and jdepend.
Just before Devoxx, we released SwingPad (http://www.jroller.com/
aalmiray/entry/swingpad_0_2_screenshots), an app to prototype UIs.
It's about as close to a WYSIWYG for guys doing this in their free
time. It's early days but the framework is very functional given its
age.

We've even ported Flubber to Griffon, though for brevity reasons, it's
not included as a sample in the Griffon distro. PM me if you'd like a
tar of the code. Griffon has already made appearances at Devoxx '08,
Codemash '09, and hopefully will make the cut for CommunityOne/JavaOne
and Jazoon.

On a general Groovy note, if GroovyBlogs(http://groovyblogs.org) isn't
one of your RSS feeds, I would suggest you add it. It aggregates a lot
of Groovy/Grails-centric blogs that might be missed on DZone.

Linkage:
Creator's blogs: http://1link.in/iuiex
Griffon creators interview: http://groovy.dzone.com/news/griffon-the-interview
Slides from Griffon presentations: