Firefox 3 uses sqlite to store cookies. Earlier mozillas used text files.
The Sqlite database contains only one table. The structure is:
moz_cookies (id INTEGER, name TEXT, value TEXT, host TEXT, path
TEXT,expiry INTEGER, lastAccessed INTEGER, isSecure INTEGER,
isHttpOnly INTEGER)
I don't think several processes can access the same database (I could
be wrong). So you will have to copy the database file and use
something like http://zentus.com/sqlitejdbc/ to access the data.
Webkit, IE, Chrome, older mozillas, etc. use different schemes. Is a
plug-in architecture called for?

--
Marcelo Morales