From: javaposse@googlegroups.com [mailto:javapo...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Alan Kent
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 5:58 PM
To: javaposse@googlegroups.com
Subject: [The Java Posse] Re: #230: JavaFX vs. Flash/Flex/Silverlight

Joshua Marinacci wrote:
> Components: JavaFX currently has only the TextBox component.
> ... we are planning a full set of new components

Any ETA on the components?  How rich?

For my personal needs its things like tables with sortable columns with
lots of values, so you need to lazily load subsets of the data (not
download the whole lot and search).  Fairly typical database access stuff.

Another thing that I was confused about was the ability of all the RIA
platforms to embed richly marked up content (say XHTML) for display
purposes.

For example, think of a mail client with summary lists, lots of mail in
your inbox, and HTML marked up email messages.  This could a cool demo
too as you could hook the javax.mail libraries directly in, doing IMAP
etc completely in the one program - no sever side required.  An example
of something JavaFX could do that Flex could not.  (Flex I believe would
require a server process to talk to in order to do the IMAP side of things.)

Alan