When having a large set of interacting applications that have to be
deployed together on a "system" which in itself is build from
different components (pc hardware and others), it was crucial for us
to ensure that all these applications communicate (RMI with
httpinvoker from spring) using the same version of the library (also a
maven project) that represents the interfaces and "value types" used
in the communication. I know that by consistently using
serialVersionUIDs we could make this requirement of using the same
interface library versions everywhere less strict, but this was not
worth the effort in our situation.

The maven plugin I wrote was used to generate dependency diagrams of
all our applications and the interfaces between them, such that when
releasing one of the interface projects, we could easily see which
other projects where impacted and had to be released (depending on a
new interface version) as well. Having this diagram visualized,
printed out and put on the whiteboard helped preventing mistakes in
the release process (because if you forget to release a project, you
might have to start all over again).

Releasing in itself was done using the maven release plugin (which
steps the version number in all the pom files of the project, tags it
in our VCS and uploads to the maven repository).

Jan