For what I am concerned I particularly appreciate JavaFX for its modernized
language and its accessible graphical and multi-media package. I guess some
people won't agree, but I'm considering the JavaFX programming language as
the natural successor of the Java language. It provides modern features Java
probably never will have. (no slamming to anyone intended) The graphical and
multi-media package is a huge step forward because in Java this is a lot
more coding and reading to achieve the same results. And the ability to have
your interface designed with a graphical package is absolutely smashing !
FINALLY having an artist on the project will make difference in the end. My
main concerns is about the tools and performance. Giving a JavaFX demo with
Netbeans is a bit embarrassing as it takes quite some time to compile and
start the application. Especially if you're trying to convince your audience
JavaFX is the next thing to have. Having to replace the runtime jar in
Netbeans doesn't help either...
Alas, I have to admit my environment is not so enthusiastic about
JavaFX. The usual remarks I'm getting :
* Is it right there's only a textbox and label component ? They cheated by
including Swing, didn't they ? Hahahaha...
* Where's the graphical designer tool ?
* Is it actually useful in a project ? Frequently they don't consider JavaFX
to be something more than a half-baked, quickly assembled technology, used
to counter flex.
* Don't tell me it needs the whole Java plugin to run ? Usually followed by
some ranting about applets, the size of the download and the startup speed
of the jre...
* The killer question: Show me how to make a master-detail screen. In flex
it would take me a few minutes. (Which I now is true because I'm using Flex
for my current project)

It weird to notice most people don't care about the fact JavaFX relies on
the 100-times-over proven efficiency of a JVM. Especially if you consider
the way flex is doing this.

The first reflex of much people seem to be looking for the gui components
and the graphical design tool. Because that's what 95% of the GUI's all
about : Data entry with standard input components. And I guess many come
back dissapointed when they're quickly examing JavaFX for the first time.
And the Java plugin is not known for fast starting and easy to install -
compared to flash that is...

It'll take some time I guess - and (hopefully) some backing from Sun/Oracle.