If you're having problems, check the file:
/Applications/Netbeans/<your version of
Netbeans>.app/Contents/Resources/NetBeans/etc/netbeans.conf

There's a variable in there called netbeans_jdkhome. If unset, it will grab
whatever your default JDK is.
You might have it set to the 1.6 JDK, set it back to 1.5 if you're on
a 32-bit or PowerPC box. The Mac JDK Home is at:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/<Java version>/Home

Up to 6.5.x (and 6.7 up to some point) it was set explicitly on install to
point to 1.5. At some point in the 6.7 nightlies it was commented out so now
it should grab the default JDK of the platform (which is very nice since now
I don't have to manually set it up in my Core2 Duo boxen).

Hope this helps,
-Mario.

--
I want to change the world but they won't give me the source code.