On 25 Jul 2009, at 08:41, Evan wrote:
> Listened with interest to the "Maven Without Pain" podcast, and it did
> nothing to dissuade me that Maven is an exercise in putting lipstick
> on a pig.  I'll stick with Ant (and, where practical, Ivy) for now.

Despite all the pain that was being described, I still find maven to
be worthwhile.  And a huge improvement over ant absed build systems.
By contrast, I found ivy to be very difficult to use (though this is
more down to my familiarity with maven).

The fact is that build systems are a hard problem.  Ant gives you a
toolkit approach that lets you solve almost anything, but at the price
of cut'n'paste programming. Maven imposes some ways of working upon
you, but if you follow them, it pays off big time.

I've been consistently surprised at how much better our development
environment has been since switching to maven.  And I think this was
echoed in the podcast for about 30s in the middle where everybody said
"Oh yeah, it's definitely an improvement over what we were doing".

-Dom