For being written in the early 90s I think the std libs are pretty
good. By comparison the C world was still using things like creat
(ENDLESS_CONSTANTS_YOU_CANT_REMEMBER_HERE).  The bar on standard libs
has been raised in the last 15+ years *because* the Java runtime was
so good.

A lot of the stuff you are complaining about things that we all
recognize would be changed if we were doing it all over again from
scratch, but can't change due to backwards compatibility concerns.
ex:  Thread.stop() was deprecated pretty quickly.