Until /very/ recently, the default JVM used to start java apps on mac
os x was 1.5; 1.6 has been on macs for ages, but unless you use a
mechanism where you can specify which VM you want (e.g. webstart),
you'd get 1.5. Fortunately, at least today, any leopard user that has
not got automatic updates turned off (Like 90% of all mac os x
deployments out there have leopard with automatic updates on, so
that's good) have 1.6 as a default.

There's still the Mac Os X 1.4 tiger folks, the folks with a 32-bit
CPU, and the need to run with 32-bit libraries (such as *ALL* eclipse
installations - if you're writing an eclipse plugin, do NOT USE 1.6
only features, or mac users have to jump through a lot of hoops to use
your plugin), but that's more of a niche thing at this point.

So, yes, just since this month, 1.6 is okay.

Having said that, project lombok runs in 1.5 and 1.6, and I even
replicated the SPI service loader mechanism which is 1.6 only to avoid
a 1.6 dependency, because of that eclipse issue.