On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com> wrote:

> I've heard the saying that you shouldn't dumb down a language for your
> dimmest bulbs at the cost of your bright ones.  It's not that simple,
> though.  If you have a sizable team without a *really *rigorous, zealous
> code review (and mandatory code amendment) program you're not ready for a
> language with features like operator overloading.  Sure you can say "don't
> use those language features", but unless the language provides a means of
> easily enforcing this, you're left to do so manually via heavy code review
> or via home-brewed compiler-like tools to reject undesirable language
> features -- unless your team is exceedingly small, of course.

If you're the only one who understands your code, you'll be stuck
maintaining it until you leave.  There's a a balance to be struck between
doing something at your own level vs the level of the group.  Sure, you can
'educate' the other team members, but at the end of the day you're not
always guaranteed that everyone will grok it, nor will everyone use new
features as elegantly or intuitively as you might think.

I'm reminded of a situation I worked in years ago where person X was taking
incoming HTTP POST data, and person Y (person X's manager) didn't understand
the concept of looping through the POST data, and made him rewrite it to be
explicit pulls for each piece of data.  Dozens of them (60 or 70 IIRC).
Arguably this might be better for readability or clarity, but the stated
reason was something along the lines of "I've never used loops for this
before, and I don't think it will work".  The manager was a former developer
who "didn't like programming anymore" and was moved in to this team
management role.  Person X left soon after that encounter.  :)

--
Michael Kimsal
http://jsmag.com - for javascript developers